According to the Toronto Star, the 114th Santa Claus parade that took place on Sun, Nov 18, 2018 around 12:30PM was the largest parade that Toronto has ever had! This claim is based on the number of floats (32) and, I assume, the large turnout. I would say that the pride parade is the only other parade in Toronto that is comparable. It was a beautiful day outside with the sun out. It was just bit chilly but that didn’t stop people from coming out and spreading the holiday cheer! People brought blankets, chairs, hot chocolate and timbits to keep themselves warm throughout this afternoon. I watched it from the corner of University Ave and College St where many others were hanging out with their families. The parade started at Christie Pits and went all the way down to St. Lawrence Market and lasted around 2-3 hours in total.
Canada Post trucks were the first to slowly drive down the route. Postal workers were picking up letters to Santa given to them by children/parents in the crowd. How sweet is that?! Mayor John Tory was also at the very front to wave to the crowd. Kudos on him for coming out because he had a cast on his leg so that walk couldn’t have been easy. There were bands playing Christmas music, traditional Christmas floats, sponsored floats (i.e. EB Games), a Chinese dragon demonstration, lots of clowns and dolls for some reason, classic “Torontonian” floats including the Raptors and Tim Hortons, and the big man himself – Santa Claus!
Check out the photos below to see 20 highlights from the parade.
1. Mayor John Tory waves to the crowd
2. Canada Post workers pick up children’s letters to Santa
3. Royal Canadian Mounted Police and their horses hard at work
4. Sick Kids Hospital float
5. All the flags of Canadian provinces and territories
6. This old school firetruck and Sparky the firefighting dog
7. Bands playing Christmas tunes like “All I want for Christmas is you” by Mariah Carey
8. EB Games float advertising their new games – Let’s Go Pikachu and Let’s Go Eevee – just in time for Christmas!
9. The Raptors float with an entire audience on board
10. This Tim Hortons float advertising “timmies minis” packs (I love birthday cake timbits)
11. Gingerbread people going on vacation sponsored by CIBC Bank
12. Speaking of vacation, look at these little Cuban flight attendants dressed by Sunwing.ca!
13. A winter wonderland sponsored by Manulife
14. A float with all your childhood fairytales
15. A beautiful mermaid and children in many different costumes sponsored by TD Bank
16. Bumblebee Transformers ad (I wonder how many children will want this toy now for Christmas)
17. Gingerbread men (and women!)
18. What a creative costume!
19. Clowns were all around trying to make children smile (or cry)
20. Cute cows! There were other farm animals in the parade too!
Were you at the Santa Claus parade? What was your favourite part? Let me know in the comments below!